A strike in protest at cutbacks across Trinity Mirror Southern has been called off following a deal with management.
group of nine journalists on the Enfield Gazette , Barnet Press and
Haringey Advertiser were blocked from striking two weeks ago following
a High Court injunction from Trinity Mirror.
- July 12, 2018
- July 11, 2018
- July 5, 2018
The company argued that it had not been given the necessary notice.
According to the NUJ, eight out of the nine voted in favour of striking again last week.
dispute centred around 47 editorial job cuts being made at TMS (out of
a total of 380)n following the introduction of a centralised subbing
pool in Uxbridge and feature copysharing.
Enfield-based journalists argued that the changes would lead to lower editorial standards.
strike was dropped following a meeting between Enfield FoC Jonathan
Lovett and Trinity Mirror Southern editorial director Marc Reeves.
Lovett described the meeting as “amicable”
said: “We still feel centralisation will be detrimental to the quality
of the papers, but we feel there are a number of safeguards in place to
make sure readers and journalists don’t suffer from centralisation.
“We made our point and hopefully they will think twice before imposing anything on us in future.”
agreement includes regular reviews between staff and management on the
centralised subbing system and guarantees regarding future editorial
A spokesman for Trinity Mirror Southern said:
“North London & Herts have settled the recent dispute with the NUJ,
who have agreed there will be no further ballot or action over this
“Naturally we are pleased that the matter has now been resolved.”