Dismiss

Tommy Robinson sentenced to nine months behind bars for contempt of court

Tommy Robinson has been jailed for contempt of court over a video he broadcast on social media which featured defendants in a criminal trial.

The English Defence League (EDL) founder, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, was handed a nine-month sentence at the Old Bailey today.

He arrived at court wearing a t-shirt which read: “Convicted of journalism.”

Dame Victoria Sharp told Robinson that the time he previously spent behind bars for the contempt will be taken into account, reducing his sentence to 19 weeks – of which he will serve half before being released.

Robinson, 36, of Luton, Bedfordshire, was found to have committed contempt of court on Friday, following a two-day High Court hearing held at the Old Bailey.

Dame Victoria and Justice Warby found Robinson was in contempt in three respects when he filmed men accused of the sexual exploitation of young girls and live-streamed the footage on Facebook, in breach of a reporting ban, outside Leeds Crown Court in May 2018.

Giving reasons for the contempt finding on Tuesday, Dame Victoria said Robinson encouraged “vigilante action” in the video, which lasted an hour-and-a-half and was viewed online 250,000 times on the morning of the broadcast.

Throughout the Old Bailey hearing last Thursday and Friday, Robinson denied any wrongdoing, saying he did not believe he was breaching reporting restrictions and only referred to information that was already in the public domain.

But Dame Victoria and Justice Warby found he was in contempt by breaching the reporting restriction imposed on the trial, by live-streaming the video from outside the public entrance to the court and by “aggressively confronting and filming” some of the defendants.

Robinson broadcast the footage while the jury in the second of a series of linked grooming trials was considering its verdict.

The video was eventually viewed 3.4m times after being shared following his arrest.

A reporting restriction was in place which postponed the publication of any details of the case until the end of all the trials involving 29 people, in a bid to ensure all defendants received a fair trial.

Robinson was jailed for 13 months after being found in contempt of court on the day of the broadcast.

He served ten weeks in jail before being freed after the original finding of contempt was overturned by the Court of Appeal in August 2018.

But the case was then referred back to the Attorney General, who announced in March that it was in the public interest to bring fresh proceedings against Robinson.

Dame Victoria and Justice Warby gave permission for the Attorney General to bring a new case against Robinson at a hearing in May.

Picture: Yui Mok/PA Wire

Comments

2 thoughts on “Tommy Robinson sentenced to nine months behind bars for contempt of court”

  1. Mr Robinson’s acting role has received a boost due to media coverage and such a dubious sentence. Given his history and present sources of funding Mr Robinson’s claims are without foundation, so why provide the publicity that enables the masquerade to continue?

  2. I thought that filming within the precincts of the court was an offence. Look at the position of cameramen when he appears for the hearing.
    I also was of the understanding that adverse comments about a defendant’s past was likely to cause serious risk of prejudice. Having been a media lawyer for donkey’s years I appreciate there was no jury here and received wisdom is that judges cannot be prejudiced.
    It appears that that the general rules do not apply when you have views that ‘polite society’ disagrees with.
    Tommy Robinson may not be everybody’s cup of tea but one rule for the ‘right on’ and one for the others is neither the rule of law nor free expression.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *