Dismiss

Private Eye opens entries for Paul Foot Award with £5,000 prize for winning entry

Paul Foot

Private Eye has opened entries for this year’s Paul Foot Award for investigative and campaigning journalism.

The current affairs magazine is accepting work published in a newspaper, magazine or online publication until Tuesday 2 April.

Individual journalists, teams of journalists and publications can apply for the award, which will hand a £5,000 prize to the winning entry.

Guardian journalist Amelia Gentleman was last year’s winner for her reports on the Windrush Scandal, work that also saw her take home the Journalist of the Year prize at the British Journalism Awards 2018.

The Paul Foot Award is named in honour of the campaigning and investigative journalist (pictured), formerly of Private Eye, who died in 2004 aged 66.

Chairman of the judges Padraig Reidy said: “In a world of fake news and alternative facts, the role of investigative journalism in holding those in power to account is more crucial than ever.

“It is fifteen years since Paul’s death, and we are honoured to continue his legacy with this award, and to champion those to whom he passed the torch.”

Private Eye editor Ian Hislop said: “The clock is running down and the deadline is approaching fast. There will be no extension, no transition period, no further negotiation and no last-minute deals. The Cheque Plan is the only one on the table.

“On June 25th the money will leave the envelope and go into the wallet of the winning journalist. Chexit means five grand, a prestigious award and a boozy evening at Bafta. What could be clearer?”

Private Eye will publish the shortlist of nominated journalists in May, with nominees set to attend the Paul Foot Award ceremony in June.

Further information on how to enter is available on the Private Eye website.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *