NUJ members at Newsquest Bradford titles were in the middle of a 10-day strike this week in support of a pay claim.
But NUJ journalists on Newsquest titles in Kendal suspended a planned four-day pay strike ahead of a meeting between the company and NUJ general secretary Jeremy Dear next week.
- July 18, 2018
- July 12, 2018
- July 11, 2018
The Bradford Newsquest journalists are seeking a £1,500 across the board pay rise and rejected a 2 per cent offer by the company.
Newsquest said the walkout involved only a third of the journalists employed by the daily Telegraph & Argus and associated weekly titles and support for industrial action was declining.
“There are fewer people taking part than there were when it started and two-thirds of our journalists are working normally,” said Bradford managing director David Coates. “We are still hoping they will respond to our efforts to resolve the situation.”
NUJ regional organiser Miles Barter said: “Some people have gone back to work but we had 40 people on strike out of a staff of 92. We are also hopeful that more journalists are about to join the union.”
Barter added the NUJ was “very concerned” that Bradford MoC Sarah Walsh had been disciplined by the company for handing out leaflets about the dispute to staff in other departments.
By Jon Slattery