Mosley privacy case: News of the World star witness fails to testify - Press Gazette

Mosley privacy case: News of the World star witness fails to testify

There was a dramatic twist today in motorsport boss Max Mosley’s privacy action against the News of the World over what it called a “sick Nazi orgy” when its star witness failed to give evidence.

The newspaper’s informant, woman E’s “emotional and mental state is such that it would not be fair or reasonable to call her to give evidence,” said its QC, Mark Warby.

The development meant that the case was adjourned until Monday for counsel to prepare their closing speeches.

E, a dominatrix who secretly filmed the sadomasochistic session at a Chelsea flat in March, was due to give evidence together with her husband.

Warby told Mr Justice Eady at London’s High Court: “This morning, at about ten to eight, I received information which has later been elaborated on which leads those instructing me and my clients to take the view that her emotional and mental state is such that it would not be fair or reasonable to call her to give evidence.”

Because of that, he added, he was not maintaining the case that instructions were given to E by another woman, A, which originated from Mr Mosley, about a Nazi theme.

He said: “We will not persist in that case. It is a most regrettable situation to have arrived at.”

But Warby emphasised that the newspaper was not abandoning the proposition that there was in fact a Nazi theme – that would continue on the basis of other evidence.

The newspaper’s chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck has told the court E told him she had been informed by A that her instructions from Mosley were that the orgy was to have a Nazi theme and that woman A and woman B were expected to wear German uniforms.

He said that there was an “overwhelming, absolutely overwhelming Nazi theme” to the footage.

The newspaper’s editor Colin Myler has said that he believed the story was one of “legitimate public interest and one that I believe was legitimately published”.

It was “absolutely not true” that the paper fabricated the Nazi aspect of the story, he said.

Mosley, the 68-year-old son of the 1930s Fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosley, says that his life was devastated by the expose of what the newspaper called a “sick Nazi orgy with five hookers”, and is asking for an unprecedented award of punitive exemplary damages.

Price has said that the “gross and indefensible intrusion” was made substantially worse by the entirely false suggestion that Mr Mosley, president of the FIA (Federation Internationale de l’Automobile) was playing a concentration camp commandant and a cowering death camp inmate.

The trial has now been adjourned until Monday.

Comments

2 thoughts on “Mosley privacy case: News of the World star witness fails to testify”

  1. Support Max MoseleyWake-up this is a pivotal moment in time, support Max Moseley in his crusade to establish ‘Rights of Privacy’ to consenting adults to explore their sexuality.Gay Rights supporters pioneered changes to existing law and introduction of new laws.Cease the opportunity picket The High Courts of Justice London throughout Max Moseley v The News of the World.Keep on top of the story through the press, remember large dose of scepticism with Murdock newspapers.
    Max Moseley has never endeared himself to the public in particular the motor sporting public. For certain he suffers unjustified scorn for being his fathers’ son, and resentment of his gratuitous wealth and ability to go places others can only fantasise.None of that should influence your support for Mr Moseley’s and your own right to play out sexual predilection in private.News of the World editor Colin Myler accuses Mr Moseley of “instigating a crime – an assault – upon himself.”
    To dilute the case in question Myler scrambles for diversionary loopholes citing “You say it was S and M but blood was drawn. I know it was drawn because he had a plaster on his bottom.”
    Give it a break – So what?

  2. Almost no member of the public challenges the breaches of privacy and the trial-by-public-humiliation of the newspapers and the media, because of the life-wrecking publicity and financial ruin it can bring.But this case should be an example to people who find themselves caught in a media feeding frenzy. The papers can afford to buy the law, and to pay its lawyers hundreds of thousands of pounds. They can afford to flout privacy laws because the laws are practically non-existent. And they can afford to put YOU on public trial.But in this country, people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. It is time to stop the corrupt media from tearing people’s lives apart, just to sell newspapers. If people begin to stand up to them, then one day we may find that the newspapers will be forced to leave (supposed) criminal investigations to the only organization who do not have a financial stake in them, and that is the police.

Comments are closed.