Sunday Times foreign correspondent Marie Colvin, who was killed while reporting in Syria in February this year during a shell attack, was among seven Times and Sunday Times journalists honoured at this morning’s Editorial Intelligence Comment Awards.
Colvin won the Foreign Commentator award after being described by her editor John Witherow as the “greatest war correspondent of her generation”.
AA Gill, also of The Sunday Times, won the Chair’s Choice, chosen by Harvey Goldsmith CBE.
Sister title The Times won the award for Best Comment Pages and David Aaronovitch was named Commentariat of the Year.
Other winners from The Times included Hugo Rifkind (Media Commentator), Tim Montgomerie (Political Commentator), Ann Treneman (Sketch Commentator) and Simon Barnes (Sports and Olympics Commentator).
Also among the winners were The Independent on Sunday’s Janet Street-Porter (Columnist of the Year), the Financial Times’ Michael Skapinker (Business Commentator) and The Daily Telegraph’s Roger Bootle (Economics Commentator).
Here is the full list of winners:
- Commentariat of the Year: David Aaronovitch, The Times
- Best Comments Pages: The Times
- Best Online Comment Site: Coffee House, The Spectator
- Columnist of the Year: Janet Street-Porter, The Independent on Sunday
- Business Commentator: Michael Skapinker, Financial Times
- Cultural Commentator: Christopher Hitchens, Vanity Fair
- Economics Commentator: Roger Bootle, The Daily Telegraph
- Foreign Commentator: Marie Colvin, The Sunday Times
- Media Commentator: Hugo Rifkind, The Times
- Independent Blogger: Mic Wright, brokenbottleboy.tumblr.com
- Mainstream Media Blogger: Andrew Sparrow, The Guardian
- Political Commentator: Tim Montgomerie, The Times
- Sketch Commentator: Ann Treneman, The Times
- Sports and Olympics Commentator: Simon Barnes, The Times
- Twitter Politician: Tom Watson MP, @tom_watson
- Twitter Public Personality: Laurie Penny, @PennyRed
- Chair’s Choice chosen by Harvey Goldsmith CBE: AA Gill, The Sunday Times