BBC Radio Kent presenter Julia George received a double honour at this year’s Kent Media Awards.
As well as being named Journalist of the Year, George also won the Kent Broadcast Journalist of the Year award.
- June 26, 2019
- March 25, 2019
- February 12, 2019
The former BBC television news presenter was praised by judges for her ability to deal with the pressures of live broadcasting.
Chair of the judging panel Barbara Sturgeon said:
Her sensitive approach to addressing the issue of rape with one of her callers was phenomenal.
She has also proved herself able to deal with aggressive callers tactfully and effectively and, as such, her radio show has taken off.
George’s employer BBC Radio Kent, meanwhile, was named News Service of the Year.
Sturgeon, a former employee of the local broadcaster, said: “As a whole, this radio station provides insightful and relevant news to its listeners and is unafraid to tackle sensitive issues.”
Here is the full list of winners:
· Kent Journalist of the Year: Julia George, BBC Radio Kent
· Kent Broadcast Journalist of the Year: Julia George, BBC Radio Kent
· News Service of the Year: BBC Radio Kent
· Kent’s Best Newspaper or Online Journalist of the Year: Alan Watkins, Gravesend Messenger
· Kent Young Journalist of the Year: Mike Sims, Folkestone Herald
· Feature Journalist of the Year: Nashreen Issa, ITV Meridan
· Journalist of the Year: Neil Bell, BBC South East Today
· Campaign of the Year: Sevenoaks Chronicle