New Statesman Media Group
The New Statesman is looking for a journalist skilled in editing, commissioning, writing and production to work on its award-winning Spotlight supplement, alongside other commercial content. This is a temporary maternity cover.
Spotlight is the New Statesman’s regular policy supplement, featuring leading policymakers and experts on major issues, from climate change to coronavirus.
• Writing interviews, features and news.
• Leading the execution of Spotlight’s digital growth plan, launching new formats to engage our audience of senior policymakers online.
• Commissioning features and op-eds.
• Editing and proofreading.
• Working closely with commercial teams on pitches and leads.
• Recruiting and training writers.
• Ensuring all commercial content complies with regulations.
• Pitching and developing new projects.
• Appearing at and chairing events, such as panel discussions and one-on-one interviews, mostly virtual at the moment.
• Pitching and programming editorially led and commercial events.
• Managing a team of writers and an events programmer.
Skills and experience:
• At least two years’ experience as a section editor or editor, with demonstrable experience of having managed other journalists.
• A keen interest in policy, business and technology.
• Expertise in print production, including flatplanning, InDesign and sub-editing
• Strong contacts in politics and business, or a proven ability to develop contacts in a particular area.
• A knowledge of media law.
• Huge reserves of ideas and enthusiasm.
To apply, please send a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, as well as a link or pdf to one interview or feature you’ve written that shows your suitability for the role and a short (less than 200 words) pitch for a new supplement, or a subject area Spotlight should cover, with a few suggestions for features/interviewees/writers and commercial opportunities.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com