ESI Media has announced details of the final print edition of The Independent which will be available on Saturday (March 26).
Some 100 journalists are expected to lose their jobs when the title closes, with 75 continuing to work on the website and 34 working for i under its new owners Johnston Press.
The 16 page souvenir pull-out will include:
– A valedictory article by Andreas Whittam Smith, one of the founders and first editor of the title
– A letter by Amol Rajan, editor-at-large of The Independent, as the newsbrand readies for its digital future
– A recall of key moments of the first 30 years of The Independent in words and pictures
– Contributions from Helen Fielding, Sebastian Faulks, Andrew Marr, Rosie Boycott, Robert Fisk and Patrick Cockburn
Alongside the souvenir pull-out the main paper and supplements will feature:
– The publisher’s letter, written by owner of The Independent Evgeny Lebedev
– Simon Kelner, editor at the time of the Iraq war, interviews Alistair Campbell
– Six-page travel special in Traveller with Simon Calder, looking at the next stage for Independent travel coverage
– Chris Blackhurst looking back at 30 years of Independent business coverage
– Paul Newman on how sports journalism has changed over the last 30 years in the sports supplement
– A gallery of past Independent front pages
– A celebration of Independent photography in the Independent Magazine
– A special showbiz montage in Radar, celebrating three decades of culture
Many of the contributions to the edition come from journalists who will continue to write for The Independent as it accelerates into its digital global future.
Amol Rajan, editor-at-large, The Independent, said: “The Independent has always been known for its pioneering work and world-class journalism and this special edition reflects that. The edition pays tribute to the enormous contribution of the team, both current and past, to this legacy, as we look ahead to the evolution of The Independent newsbrand, growing our digital, global presence.”