CBS News chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan was subjected to a sustained violent attack by a mob in Egypt’s Tahrir Square last week, according to the US broadcaster.
As Egyptian’s celebrated Hosni Mubarak’s resignation last Friday in Cairo, Logan became separated from her crew 60 Minutes documentary crew and was subjected to a brutal assault, CBS said in a statement.
- June 8, 2020
- November 18, 2019
- July 22, 2019
The former GMTV reporter was saved by a group of women and around 20 Egyptian soldiers before being reunited with her crew.
The US broadcaster said Logan, who is a board member of the Committee to Protect Journalists, returned to the United States the next morning and is currently home recovering.
The CPJ issued a statement last night expressing its alarm and concern for Logan.
“We have seen Lara’s compassion at work while helping journalists who have faced brutal aggression while doing their jobs,” CPJ Chairman Paul Steiger said.
“She is a brilliant, courageous, and committed reporter. Our thoughts are with Lara as she recovers.”
The CPJ reported last week that at least 141 direct attacks had been made on journalists and news facilities in Egypt since the end of January.
The New York-based charity, which has documented reported attacks on its websites, said it is investigating numerous other reports of violence and hostility against reporters during the protests against the rule of the former president.