University of Cardiff is running a free online course in community journalism taught by former director of news at the BBC Richard Sambrook.
It is running the course with FutureLearn, a subsidiary of the Open University, and over 3,500 people have already signed up to it. It starts on 8 February.
The course includes elements on:
- Setting up a community website
- Exploring different forms of community – local, professional or personal
- Identifying and building an audience
- Creating content and establishing a workflow to sustain the site
- Using WordPress, Twitter and Facebook
- Managing an online community
- Abiding by media law and ethics.
There are no requirements to get a place on the course just an interest in journalism.