The Telegraph-owning Barclay brothers are the richest UK journalism business owners, according to the Sunday Times, with a combined wealth of £6bn.
They paid £665m for the Telegraph group in 2004 but also own various other businesses including the Ritz Hotel. According to The Rich List of most wealthy Britons, their wealth has increased by £3.65bn since last year and they are placed 16th overall in the top 1,000 survey.
The Thomson family were the next most wealthy journalism business owners with a combined wealth of £1,207m. They own Scottish newspaper and magazine publishing group DC Thomson.
Express Newspapers owner Richard Desmond added some £340m to his wealth thanks partly to the success of Channel 5 (which he is in the process of selling for £350m more than he paid for it).
Top 10 journalism industry figures on Sunday Times Rich List 2014
1) Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay, £6bn (up £3.65bn). Telegraph Media Group.
2) The Thomson family, £1,207m (up £107m). DC Thomson.
3) Richard Desmond, £1,200m (up £340m). Northern and Shell, Channel 5.
4) Viscount Rothermere and family, £1,010m (up £290m). Daily Mail and General Trust.
5) Mark Getty and family, £650m. Getty Images.
6) Felix Dennis, £500m. Dennis Publishing.
7) Mike Danson, £412m (up £36m). Progressive Media.
8) Cristina Stenbeck, £376m (down £29m). Kinnevik Media, including the international Metro newspapers.
9) Lord Heseltine and family, £278m (down £100m). Haymarket Media Group.
10) Lord Iliffe and family, £220m (down £25m). Yattendon Group which has a 21 per cent stake in Local World.