Sun's stolen mobile data 'conspiracy' unravels as second journalist is cleared

A second Sun journalist has been cleared after a year on bail following his arrest by police investigating computer hacking.
 
He is understood to be Chris Pollard, 31, was was a casual reporter for The Sun when he was arrested and who has not previously been named.
 
Pollard was arrested at his home in London at 7.30am on 20 September on suspicion of offences under the Computer Misuse Act and handling stolen goods.
 
At the time the Met Police said: "The arrest relates to a suspected conspiracy involving the gathering of data from stolen mobile phones and is not about seeking journalists to reveal confidential sources in relation to information that has been obtained legitimately."
 
Last week Sun journalist Rhodri Phillips was cleared after 13 months on police bail on suspicion of handling stolen goods in relation to MP Siobhain McDonagh's missing mobile phone. Press Gazette understands that Phillips did not even touch the device.
 
Times crime correspondent Fiona Hamilton said this afternoon on Twitter that Pollard never touched the stolen phone he was accused of 'handling'.
 
The Met Police said in a statement today: " A journalist who was arrested as part of Operation Tuleta was informed on Wednesday 21 August that there will be no further action taken.
 
"The 31-year-old man (Tuleta arrest 14) was arrested at his home address on 20 September 2012 on suspicion of offences under Section 1 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 and suspicion of handling stolen goods contrary to Section 22 of the Theft Act 1968."
 
Pollard becomes the 12th journalist out of 59 arrested over the last two years to be cleared. So far 24 have been charged and the others remain on police bail.
 
Some 13 Sun journalists have been charged with making illegal payments to public officials.
 

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

nineteen − fourteen =

CLOSE
CLOSE