Sudden departure for long-seving Newsquest group editor Paul Walker

asd2
A group editor in charge of seven of Newsquest's weekly newspapers has abruptly resigned.
 
Paul Walker headed the Stourbridge News, Halesowen News, Dudley NewsKidderminster ShuttleBromsgrove Advertiser and Droitwich Advertiser Redditch, as well as editing the Alcester Advertiser for almost 16 years. 
 
The announcement was made to Newsquest staff on Thursday afternoon in an email from Trevor Sallis, Newsquest Worcester and Stourbridge managing director. 
It said: “Paul Walker, group editor for Stourbridge Division has resigned his position and left the company with immediate effect.”
 
“Peter John currently group editor of Worcester Division will take over Stourbridge Division in addition to his current responsibilities. I would like to thank Paul for his contribution to the company and wish Peter every success in his new position."
 
Paul joined the company in August 1989 as chief sub-editor for the Kidderminster Shuttle. He was appointed editor of the Redditch Advertiser in January 1999 and edited a number of titles, before being made group editor for the Stourbridge division in April this year. 
 
News of his departure came after a series of resignations and job losses at Newsquest. Several strikes have taken place this year following plans to transfer subbing and production roles to Wales.
 
Last month, Michael Beard, editor of the Argus in Brighton resigned after nine years to take up a PR job in Public Health
 
Peter John, now group editor across two divisions at the company, was unable to disclose details surrounding his colleague’s sudden departure.
 
He said: “Paul was dedicated to the titles he edited and worked long and hard guiding them over many years. 
 
“He has now decided it is time to move on and we wish him every success for the future.”

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

11 − 3 =

CLOSE
CLOSE