Two senior Sun journalists are among those to be cleared yesterday after spending more than a year on police bail on suspicion of involvement in phone-hacking.
Six former News of the World journalists were yesterday told that they will face no further action after previously being questioned by police.
Press Gazette understands that those now in the clear include:
- ?Editor of The Sun’s Fabulous magazine Rachel Richardson (pictured above)
Former Sun features editor Matt Nixson (pictured below)
Former News of the World showbiz journalist Polly Graham
- Sun on Sunday features editor Jane Atkinson.
The four were among six former News of the World journalists held by police in a wave of arrests made by officers on the second hacking inquiry, Operation Pinetree. They have all been on police bail since 13 February 2013.
A fifth former News of the World journalist arrested that day, a man in his 40s, has also been cleared.
A 48-year-old former News of the World journalist who was questioned under caution by officers from Operation Pinetree on 14 October 2013 was also told yesterday that he will face no further action.
But a 48-year-old male News of the World journalist (Weeting arrest A1, arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth also on 13 February 2013) remains on bail with a decision in his case expected later this month.
According to the Met Police, a 63-year-old former News of the World journalist who was interviewed under caution by officers as part of Operation Pinetree on 14 October 2013 has been told his file is still being considered by the CPS.
At least 63 journalists have been arrested over the last three years as result of investigations stemming from the News of the World hacking scandal.
So far there have been five convictions of journalists (all for conspiracy to hack phones) and a fresh conviction for the News of the World’s former private investigator Glenn Mulcaire.