The BBC has published links to nearly 200 of its news stories which have been excluded from Google search results in Europe following the “right to be forgotten” ruling.
In May last year the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that individuals have the right to ask for private information to removed from internet search engines.
- August 18, 2017
- August 16, 2017
- August 15, 2017
The court said that search engines must weigh "the legitimate interest of internet users potentially interested in having access to that information" against the right to privacy and protection of personal data.
The BBC has had 76 stories removed from Google search results in Europe this year, incuding:
- A story about a man convicted of raping a woman in her sleep in Edinburgh in 2012,
- A court report about nine named men charged with smuggling across the Irish broder in 2001
- A story about an un-named woman who was killed in a car carsh in Wales in March 2014
- A report about two men convicted of insider dealing in March in 2009.
BBC online managing editor Neil McIntosh said in a blog post: “The BBC has decided to make clear to licence fee payers which pages have been removed from Google's search results by publishing this list of links. Each month, we'll republish this list with new removals added at the top.
"We are doing this primarily as a contribution to public policy. We think it is important that those with an interest in the 'right to be forgotten' can ascertain which articles have been affected by the ruling. We hope it will contribute to the debate about this issue. We also think the integrity of the BBC's online archive is important and, although the pages concerned remain published on BBC Online, removal from Google searches makes parts of that archive harder to find."
He added: “…when looking through this list it is worth noting that we are not told who has requested the delisting, and we should not leap to conclusions as to who is responsible. The request may not have come from the obvious subject of a story.”
Google has so far received more than 37,000 requests from people in Britain to remove more than 126,00 links from its search results.