The Guardian is reporting that Sean Hoare, the former News of the World reporter who blew the whistle on new allegations about phone-hacking, has been found dead.
The Guardian is quoting a statement from Hertfordshire police: “At 10.40am today [Monday 18 July] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street. Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.
“The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing.”
It has been widely reported that Hoare has a history of problems with drink and drugs. He spoke out about phone-hacking at the News of the World to The Guardian, BBC and New York Times. Last week he made new allegations that News of the World journalists were involved in “pinging” – using information from mobile phone transmitters to reveal peoples’ locations via their mobile phones.
Hoare told Panorama that phone-hacking was endemic at the News of the World. He said: “People were scared, if you’ve got to get a story – you’ve got get it by whatever means – that is the culture of News International.”
Rupert and James Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks are due to appear before the Culture Media and Sport Select Committee tomorrow.