Portsmouth FC has banned Neil Allen, chief sports reporter of the town’s The News title from the club after his wrote an article the club disliked.
The ban comes just three months after the club lifted an earlier ban which had seen all News staff barred from the club over an article concerning alleged damage to the FA Cup, which Portsmouth won last year.
- February 6, 2018
- January 16, 2018
- August 1, 2017
Allen is not allowed to attend home matches, press conferences and visit the club’s training ground.
Portsmouth FC director of communications Gary Double told Holdthefronpage: “Neil was banned after an article criticising the manager Paul Hart.
“In my opinion, he made his position untenable. I talked to the editor straight after.
“It’s not the first time Neil has transgressed as far as we are concerned.
“He was in a privileged position, interviewing the manager three times a week, and we felt the article overstepped the line.”
News sports editor Howard Frost said: “Neil is disappointed. He can accept Paul Hart’s stance but we fail to see why Pompey have to ban him completely over an opinion piece – an opinion many fans shared after that match.
“Pompey are a little bit quick when it comes to the local media. I think the nationals have written far worse things about Paul Hart but they don’t act upon it.”