John Terry’s alleged mistress Vanessa Perroncel spurned media offers for her story after cutting a new confidentiality deal with the former England captain, the News of the World has claimed.
The NoW reported yesterday, Perroncel had already signed two confidentiality agreements with Terry’s management company before the England football captain took out an injunction against the paper banning it from publishing its allegations about his love life.
But it said that doubts were raised about the validity of the documents by High Court judge Sir Michael Tugendhat when he lifted the injunction the week before last.
Tugendhat claimed the allegations about Terry’s relationship with Perroncel were already well known in football circles – so no longer private. The judge also suggested in his ruling that Terry was more concerned about financial damage to his reputation, than he was about invasion of his private life.
Last week, publicist Max Clifford said that Perroncel had been offered £250,000 for her side of the story from the media.
But yesterday the NoW reported that a “deal had been done” between Terry and Perroncel.
The Sunday Mirror boasted that it had “VANESSA’S STORY” yesterday, basing its account of the affair on interviews with two of Perroncel’s friends, Antonia Graham and Nadean Moses.
Perroncel explained her decision not to sell her story in a statement read out by Clifford on Friday, at the same time that Terry was stripped of the England captaincy.
Her statement said: “In recent days I have been the centre of a great deal of press speculation and comment.
“I would like to put on record my thanks to Max Clifford for his advice and help at this difficult time.
“The details of my friendship with John and his family have been the subject of intense and wholly unfair and untrue media speculation.
“As Max has already said, much of the material in the press is inaccurate.
“I now find myself subject to other unsubstantiated and false claims which have appeared in the papers over the past few days.
“This has only added to the pressure which my family and I have been under.
“The media has sought to pore over my private life and that of my family, which is very upsetting.
“I have decided I do not want to speak publicly about the speculation since it only seems to add more fuel to the fire.
“I have a three-year-old son and he is my main concern.
“I do not believe speaking to newspapers or the media is in his interest or my own.
“I do not wish to add anything more to what I have said.”