Carlton chief executive of channels Clive Jones has written to the NUJ in a bid to reassure journalists at London News Network and ITN that they will be consulted on any deals that may affect their working practices.
Editorial staff had feared being excluded from talks proposing a review of the independent broadcast network’s regional news operations.
- October 13, 2017
- September 13, 2017
- August 21, 2017
NUJ broadcast organiser Paul McLaughlin told Press Gazette: “We have had reassurances from ITV, in the form of Carlton, that in line with their ongoing commitment, any negotiations will include input from the union. The letter shows they are committed to dialogue with us.”
By implication, in the event of an agreed takeover, ITV would consult LNN’s recently recognised NUJ chapel as well as representatives at ITN.
However, the NUJ was told that so far, no “decisions had been taken in looking at proposals to improve the regional news service”.
The negotiations had caused uproar among journalists at LNN, which is co-owned by Carlton and Granada.
McLaughlin had written to Jones and Granada executive chairman Charles Allen, voicing journalists’ fears about their jobs, programme quality and regional identity in the event of a takeover by ITN.
He also expressed concern at a hitherto lack of consultation by management.
Last week Granada rebuffed suggestions that LNN is about to be sold to ITN, saying that the broadcaster was currently “reviewing how these services are provided, but no ?rm decisions have been made”.
By Wale Azeez