Former News of the World US editor James Desborough was today told he faces no further action in Scotland Yard’s phone-hacking probe.
Desborough was held in August last year on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications for the now defunct Sunday tabloid.
A Scotland Yard statement today said “On August 18, 2011, officers from Operation Weeting arrested a 39-year-old man in connection with phone hacking.
“He was today, Tuesday 27 March, released from bail with no further action.”
Desborough is understood to be the third Operation Weeting suspect to be told he will not be charged since the investigation was launched in January last year.
There have so far been 46 arrests made in three inquiries into hacking and corruption under the three-pronged operations Weeting, Elveden and Tuleta.
Desborough, who won a British Press Award in 2009, joined the paper as a showbusiness and news reporter in 2005 before being promoted to US editor in 2009.
- To contact the Press Gazette newsdesk call 020 7936 6433 or email email@example.com