The number of daily unique browsers visiting The Guardian's website year on year surged by 65 per cent in February to 4m.
The Guardian said this was the first time it has recorded more than 4m daily average unique browsers.
In addition The Guardian said its mobile sites now see 640,220 average daily unique browsers, a 28 per cent increase from last month's previous record of 500,215 (up 182.4 per cent year on year).
The latest web traffic figures from ABC show the Mail Online website remains well ahead of its rivals – with daily browsers up 83 per cent year on year and 79 per cent month on month to 5.7m .
Monthly figures were down at every title audited by ABC in month on month terms apart from The Sun, which was 2.29 per cent up to 24.6m.
Mirror Online had a strong daily performance – up 21 per cent on 2011 to 662,162 – but its monthly figures fell by 25 per cent year-on-year following its February relaunch.
Trinity said the drop was typical of any major relaunch that involves redirecting millions of URLs, with a subsequent decline in organic search traffic through Google.
UK national newspaper website figures February 2012 (source ABC)
Name of site; average daily unique browsers; percentage change year on year (month on month)
- MailOnline : 5,745,989 ; 82.81 ( 78.97 )
- Metro : 317,984 ; N/A ( N/A )
- Standard.co.uk : 160,790 ; N/A ( N/A )
- guardian.co.uk : 4,047,643 ; 64.54 ( N/A )
- The Independent : 622,910 ; 0.27 ( 2.78 )
- Mirror Group Digital : 662,162 ; 20.77 ( 20.34 )
- The Sun : 1,564,536 ; N/A ( N/A )
- Telegraph : 2,511,429 ; 35.64 ( 40.51 )
Name of site; monthly unique browsers; percentage change year on year (month on month)
- MailOnline : 91,148,015 ; -0.67 ( -8.13 )
- Metro : 7,454,540 ; -9.89 ( -13.02 )
- Standard.co.uk : 3,628,954 ; -6.67 ( -12.17 )
- guardian.co.uk : N/A ; 12.67 ( N/A )
- The Independent : 12,820,010 ; 3.33 ( -2.34 )
- Mirror Group Digital : 13,117,464 ; -25.01 ( -31.29 )
- The Sun : 24,606,960 ; 6.30 ( 2.29 )
- Telegraph : 46,151,900 ; 2.14 ( -4.43 )