The women's weekly market was hit by an 8 per cent total drop in circulation in the first half the year falling to 7.5m, according to the latest figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulation.
The worst-performing title was the celebrity gossip magazine Heat, which fell 21.7 per cent to 326,677. IPC Media's Pick Me Up was down 18.1 per cent to 261,588 and Bauer Consumer Media's Closer fell 12.7 per cent to 459,693.
Despite the drop Closer publisher Nicky Holt said it continued to 'consistently deliver a strong newsstand performance", adding that 'Bauer remains totally focussed on delivering a high-quality product at full price".
Only one magazine managed to increase its sales in the first half of 2011 – IPC Media's Women's Weekly rose a modest 0.4 per cent 339,993. A spokesperson said the rise demonstrated "the longevity of the brand and the continued loyalty of its consumers. This year the brand has launched a number of partnerships with high profile brands including Thornton's and has bolstered its presence at live events across the UK."
Despite a 6.1 per cent slip in sales Bauer's Take A Break still dominates the market with sales of 803,555, well ahead of its nearest rival New! which dropped 10.7 per cent to 515,975.
A spokesperson for Bauer said: 'With new editor Rebecca Fleming now firmly at the helm, Take a Break continues to evolve its editorial proposition in line with readers' changing lifestyles."
Women's weekly circulation figures for the first half of 2011:
Title; publisher; average sale; change year on year
- Take a Break ; H Bauer Publishing ; 803,555 ; -6.1%
- New! ; Northern & Shell Magazines Ltd ; 515,975 ; -10.7%
- OK! Magazine ; Northern & Shell PLC ; 473,167 ; -1.2%
- Closer ; Bauer Consumer Media ; 459,693 ; -12.7%
- HELLO! ; Hello! Ltd ; 413,311 ; 0.3%
- Star ; Northern & Shell PLC ; 405,688 ; -8.0%
- Chat ; IPC Media Ltd ; 391,749 ; -9.0%
- Woman's Weekly ; IPC Media Ltd ; 339,993 ; 0.4%
- Heat ; Bauer Consumer Media ; 326,677 ; -21.7%
- That's Life ; H Bauer Publishing ; 321,332 ; -5.9%
- Reveal ; Hearst Magazines UK ; 311,176 ; -6.3%
- Now ; IPC Media Ltd ; 309,202 ; -8.5%
- Woman ; IPC Media Ltd ; 286,731 ; -9.9%
- Best ; Hearst Magazines UK ; 280,218 ; -7.3%
- Peoples Friend ; D C Thomson & Co Ltd ; 268,230 ; -7.9%
- Pick Me Up ; IPC Media Ltd ; 261,588 ; -18.1%
- Woman's Own ; IPC Media Ltd ; 245,868 ; -9.7%
- Bella ; H Bauer Publishing ; 239,660 ; -2.8%
- Love It! ; Hubert Burda Media UK ; 212,168 ; -8.4%
- Real People ; Hearst Magazines UK ; 208,850 ; -7.2%
- Full House ; Hubert Burda Media UK ; 168,240 ; -4.3%
- My Weekly ; D C Thomson & Co Ltd ; 124,671 ; -7.2%
- National Enquirer - UK Edition ; American Media Inc ; 65,684 ; -8.3%
- The Lady ; The Lady ; 29,164 ; -5.2%