Fiona Woolf’s (pictured, Reuters) resignation from being head of the Government’s historic child abuse inquiry is “a reminder of the need to protect our tradition of fearless investigative journalism as part of a vibrant press”, The Mail on Sunday said yesterday.
The newspaper accused Government spin doctors of attempting to “bury bad news” by announcing her resignation on a Friday afternoon. “It didn’t work: yesterday’s newspapers were full of the story,” the editorial said.
- May 2, 2018
- April 24, 2018
- March 27, 2018
“Her announcement has vindicated this newspaper’s decision to investigate her appointment. At no stage did we call into question Mrs Woolf’s competence or integrity. But we believe we were right to question whether she would command the trust of the victims of child abuse.
“Press freedom in Britain has never been in greater peril.
“The police are using ‘snoopers’ legislation to identify journalists’ sources, Europe is allowing people to be excised from internet history under its ‘right to be forgotten’ ruling and there are dark rumblings from the politicians about ever more restrictive regulation.”
Former Men’s Health editor Morgan Rees has taken over Bauer’s film magazine Empire.
Rees replaces Mark Dinning who stood down as editor of the title in August to take charge of Time Out Dubai.
Rees was previously creative development director and editorial director at Hearst-Rodale, where he oversaw the launch of Women’s Health. More recently, he was running an editrorial agency providing consultancy to digital, magazine and sports brands, according to Bauer.
He said: “Empire is an outstanding title. The access it has, and the innovation it’s famed for are well deserved. It’s incredible to be working on a brand that I’ve followed – with a good degree of jealousy – for so many years. It’s an editor’s dream to be able to spend their time writing about what they love, and that’s the amazing position I find myself in. The team are exceptional and I’m looking forward to working with them in pushing the title into new areas of growth and development. I’m trying to figure out the new ‘Darth Vader breathing’ cover as we speak.“
Fiona Shaw has been appointed publisher of Local World’s Devon & Cornwall Media. She has 26 years of experience in the media, previously working in advertising for the Derby Evening Telegraph, Nottingham Post and Staffordshire Newspapers.
In her new role, starting on 1 December, she will report to Mark Sainsbury, managing director of Devon & Cornwall and South West Wales Media.
She said: “Cornwall holds special memories for me as many of my childhood holidays were spent in this beautiful part of the country. Cornwall still holds strong community values and our Cornish titles and websites play an enormous part in keeping that community spirit alive and kicking. The mild climate and beautiful beaches is just an added bonus.”
Trinity Mirror’s Data Unit has revealed the most sought-after schools in specific areas of England and Wales in a set of “Race for a School Place” guides.
The Birmingham Mail, Liverpool Echo, Huddersfield Examiner, Coventry Telegraph, The Chronicle, The Gazette and South Wales Echo all published double-page guides on primary and secondary schools, with data obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, last week. The Manchester Evening News, meanwhile, published two separate guides for primary and secondary schools over two days.
Claire Miller, a senior data journalist who compiled the guides, said: "This analysis uses exclusive data revealed through Freedom of Information requests to give the most comprehensive view possible on how popular local schools were when it came to applying for this year's places.
"Choosing a school is a major decision for parents, and with the application process for next year's places under way, hopefully this information will further aid parents in making decisions about where is best for their child and where they have the best chance of getting a place."
The Northern Echo’s Remembrance Sunday front page this week will feature an exclusive piece from artist Mackenzie Thorpe. The Middlesbrough-born artist has agreed to produce the work for the Echo to commemorate the First World War and raise money for current soldiers.
It is part of the paper’s “£100,000 for 100 years” campaign, which was launched earlier this year. Sunday’s newspaper will feature photographs and names of the North East soldiers who died in the war and a selection of front pages from the time.
Costing £1, 10p from every copy will be donated to the Phoenix House rehabilitation centre, established by Help For Heroes.
Metro has appointed Charlie Cox as full-time managing director after being given the position on an interim basis in July.
Formerly of LBC and DMG Radio, Cox replaces Steve Auckland who worked at the Metro over two periods – once between 2002 and 2011 and then for less than a year, from December 2013 to July, when he joined ESI Media, working across the Evening Standard, Independent titles and London Live.