By Dominic Ponsford
Management at Newsquest Bradford have rejected an offer from the NUJ aimed at ending the long-running dispute, meaning journalists could go back on strike as early as next week.
- May 17, 2018
- May 16, 2018
- May 8, 2018
NUJ members are unhappy at this year’s pay offer of 2 per cent plus discretionary payments of up to £400. The current deal includes the promise of an inflation-level increase next year.
The NUJ has not revealed details of its compromise deal, but it included an offer to solve the dispute by going into arbitration overseen by Acas.
The union’s north of England organiser Miles Barter said: “Management have rejected our offer on the basis that it is a one-year deal and they say they don’t want to be in the same position next year. We weren’t asking for much, we just wanted to bring it to an end and move on to something else. We are disappointed that they haven’t taken this chance to end the dispute.”
NUJ members at the titles voted in favour of further strikes earlier this month and under the law have until 5 August to resume industrial action.
Newsquest Bradford managing director David Coates said: “We are still involved in talks and I don’t think it would be appropriate to comment further while those talks are ongoing.”