Four Newsquest publishing centres have now voted for strike to protest against pay, redundancies and the creation of subbing hubs.
Members of the National Union of Journalists in London, Brighton (Sussex) and Southampton (Hampshire) have now joined those in the North West in backing action.
- July 26, 2017
- July 24, 2017
- July 17, 2017
Newsquest journalists in Darlington, York and Bradford went on strike earlier this year over similar issues, including the company’s policy of moving editorial production away from local communities to subbing hubs.
Today, NUJ members at Newsquest Hampshire, which includes the Southern Daily Echo in Southampton, voted 89.7 per cent in favour of strike action.
Yesterday, members in London and Sussex (who took part in the ballot) voted 100 per cent and 63.6 per cent respectively in favour of strike action.
The NUJ said 150 journalists were balloted in all across the North West, London, Sussex and Hampshire.
NUJ national organiser Laura Davison said of the latest strike vote at Newsquest Hampshire:
This fifth ballot for strike action should be sending a strong message to the Newsquest management that their staff have had enough of pay freezes, job cuts and an attack on their professionalism. They are sick of having their dedication and skills disregarded by a management more interested in squeezing out profit for the American owner's shareholders. They want to see their local papers producing quality journalism at the heart of the communities they serve.
So far Newsquest's chief executive has refused to answer our call for talks to discuss these disputes."
The chapels are now meeting to discuss the form and timetable for action.