A solicitor representing a man charged with murdering Dublin journalist Tom O’Gorman has written to the Irish Director of Public Prosecutions over media coverage surrounding the case.
Saverio Bellante, 34 of Beechpark Avenue, Castleknock, Dublin has been charged with murdering his landlord between 19-20 January at his home.
Bellante was due to appear in Cloverhill District Court on Friday, but the court heard that the 34-year-old from Palermo, Sicily had been transferred to the Central Mental Hospital for treatment.
Dr Paul O’Connell of the Central Mental Hospital has written to Judge Victor Blake in relation to Bellante.
Solicitor Michael Staines for Bellante told the court that he has written to the Director of Public Prosecutions about the level of publicity the case has attracted. He also said the sub judice rule had already been broken by some publications.
Staines asked Blake to warn the media about future coverage. The judge said he would not issue a direct warning but would “endorse” those comments.
Staines made an application for all memos and video records of all interviews conducted with his client. He also made an application for free legal aid.
Judge Blake said he would not grant an application for legal aid until Bellante had supplied a statement of means although he would back-date the claim if it was successful at a future date.
Solicitor Rachel Joyce for the DPP told the court that the Gardai would not have their file on the investigation completed in time for the next court hearing on 31 January.
During Belante’s first court hearing, Detective Sergeant Patrick Traynor told the court that when the accused was charged he admitted “I am guilty”.
Belante did not appear in court for Friday’s brief hearing although he was ordered to reappear at Cloverhill on 31 January.