News agency journalist dies on holiday in Cambodia

A journalist working for the Portsmouth-based M&Y news agency has died while on holiday in Cambodia after apparently snorting heroin by mistake.

Sources said David Hunt, 36, from Southampton was found in a hotel room in the capital city Phnom Penh earlier this week with businessman Mark Ganley, 34, also originally from Southampton.

According to Cambodian police, the pair had bloodied noses and are thought to have died of overdoses after snorting heroin-based powder, believing it to be cocaine.

The men were found in a shared hotel room with a bag of white powder and some local currency after a maid entered. Cambodian police are investigating the deaths.

The Foreign Office said consular assistance has been given to the families of the men after the deaths were reported.

Hunt’s sister, Kate Sanderson, told the Southern Daily Echo: “This was a tragic accident and we are devastated by our loss.

“Both Mark and David were talented individuals and were hugely loved and respected by family and friends alike. They will be sadly missed.”

M&Y news agency director Pat Symes said: “David worked for us for three years and we were deeply shocked and saddened by the news.

“He was an outstanding news and sports journalist and is already greatly missed.”

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

nine − seven =

CLOSE
CLOSE