Newland quits as Telegraph editor

By Domnic Ponsford

Martin Newland has resigned as editor of
the Daily Telegraph just a week after the appointment of an
editor-in-chief above his head.

It is understood that Sunday
Telegraph editor Sarah Sands and Newland were given little notice of
the news that their power would be effectively diluted by the
appointment of John Bryant to the new post of Telegraph Group
editor-in-chief.

Sixty one-year-old veteran newsman Bryant was previously consultant editor of the Daily Mail

Telegraph
Group chief executive Murdoch MacLennan said: “Martin Newland has
guided The Daily Telegraph with distinction through a difficult period,
especially during the sale of the company by Lord Black. He has
attracted a team of brilliant writers, pioneered the new business and
sports sections and overseen the re-design and modernisation of the
newspaper.

“Both our proprietors and I had hoped to work with him
for the foreseeable future so it is with regret to us all that he has
decided to move on. I would very much like to thank Martin for his
considerable contribution to the Telegraph and we wish him every
success in whatever he decides to do next.”

Newland said in his
statement: “Editing The Daily Telegraph has been a privilege. It has
been a marvellous experience working with so many great journalists and
building the newspaper’s reputation as the UK’s market leader.

“I would like to thank Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay and Aidan Barclay for their kindness and good wishes.”

Bryant will be acting editor of The Daily Telegraph until a successor is appointed.

Newland
was appointed editor of the Telegraph in October 2003 by then
proprietor Conrad Black. Just two months later Black “retired” as
chairman of parent company Hollinger International as he became
engulfed in a muti-million dollar embezzlement scandal.

Newland,
43, first joined the Telegraph in 1990 after starting his journalism
career on the Catholic Herald. He rose to assistant news editor then
home editor before leaving in 1998 to be launch deputy editor of Conrad
Black-owned Canadian newspaper the National Post.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sixteen + 3 =

CLOSE
CLOSE