The Society of Editors has unveiled a new line-up of categories for The Press Awards – with entries for the 33 categories open today.
This year there will be eight new categories. The feature writer, interviewer and columnist of the year prizes are to be divided up into separate categories for “broadsheet” and “pop” titles.
There is a new prize for humour, the “best of humour award”, and new team prizes for news, sport, business and production.
The Press Awards were run by the Society of Editors for the first time last year with the dinner held at the Savoy Hotel.
This year the dinner will be held at the Lancaster London Hotel on 20 March.
The awards recognise work published in 2011.
Proceeds from entry fees, sponsorship and table sales go to the Society of Editors, with a contribution also being made to the Journalists’ Charity.
These carry an entry fee of £130, £49 for freelances
- Young Journalist of the Year
- Business and Finance Journalist of the Year
- Political Journalist of the Year
- Foreign Reporter of the Year
- Showbiz Reporter of the Year
- Sports Journalist of the Year
- Specialist Journalist of the Year
- Feature Writer of the Year – Broadsheet
- Feature Writer of the Year – Pop
- Interviewer of the Year – Broadsheet
- Interview of the Year – Pop
- Columnist of the Year – Broadsheet
- Colunnist of the year – Pop
- Critic of the Year
- Diarist of the Year
- Photographer of the Year
- Sports Photographer of the Year
- Cartoonist of the Year
- Campaign of the Year
- Supplement of the Year
- Website of the Year
- The Best of Humour Award
- News Reporter of the Year
No entry fee
- The Cudlipp Award, for excellence in popular journalism
- Journalists’ Charity Award, chosen by the Journalists’ Charity
- International Journalist of the Year – For an overseas journalist “who has battled against oppression and helped a British newspaper report”.
No entry fee and decided by the independent judges
- Newspaper of the Year
- News Team
- Sports Team
- Business and Finance team
- Production/design team
- Front Page of the Year
- Scoop of the Year