Nato secretary general Lord Robertson is considering legal action against the owners of the Sunday Herald over allegations about him and his alleged connections to Dunblane mass-murderer Thomas Hamilton on the paper’s online discussion board
It is understood he has already instructed lawyers to demand a retraction, apology and financial settlement. By Sunday, the forum entries, which appeared for more than four weeks, had been removed and the forum closed due to “unforeseen technical issues.”
Sunday Herald editor Andrew Jaspan said: “I was alerted to this by Lord Robertson. It was on our forums, which are reader-generated. As soon as he alerted me, I acted as quickly as I could to bring them down.”
Lord Robertson’s spokesman said it was “a private matter”. It is understood he is being represented by leading Scottish libel lawyer Martin Smith.