Media law

Reuters
By Press Association and Press Gazette 16 April 14:00
Coulson told the Old Bailey trial he initially called a halt to the story in 2004 but later changed his mind and confronted Mr Blunkett about it.
By Dominic Ponsford 16 April 12:08
The photographs were taken on 16 October 2012 by an unnamed photographer in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, and showed Weller and the children out shopping in the street, and relaxing at a café on the edge of the street.
By Press Association and Press Gazette 16 April 11:49
Sitting in the Court of Appeal, Lord Justice Maurice Kay and Lord Justice Laws gave Jonathan Calvert and Heidi Blake permission to appeal Mr Justice Tugendhat's finding.
JK Rowling by Daniel Ogrin (creative commons)
By Dominic Ponsford 16 April 9:25
The paper admitted liability under the “offer of amends” procedure in the Defamation Act. But it has yet to agree what damages to pay Rowling and it has challenged her right to make a unilateral statement in open court about the matter.
By Press Association and Press Gazette 15 April 16:39
Andy Coulson said he would have turned down Edward Snowden's leaked information if he had been offered it when he was editor of the News of the World.
By Press Association and Press Gazette 15 April 15:44
Andy Coulson today denied he was a bully and "absolutely rejected" that there was a culture of bullying at the News of the World while he was editor.
By Press Association and Press Gazette 15 April 12:49
He did not know the practice was illegal but would have regarded it as "intrusive" and "lazy journalism", he told the jury at the Old Bailey hacking trial.
By Press Association and Press Gazette 15 April 11:48
Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson told the hacking trial his affair with Rebekah Brooks "was wrong and it shouldn't have happened". The affair started in 1998, but was not "continual" and there were long periods where they were just close friends, the 46-year-old told the jury yesterday.
By Press Association and Press Gazette 14 April 13:08
Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson went into the witness box today to defend himself against allegations of conspiracies to hack phones and pay public officials for stories.
Tulisa arriving at Southwark Crown Court (REUTERS)
By William Turvill 14 April 10:18
Pop singer Tulisa Contostavlos is suing The Sun over a story in which she was branded a “home-wrecker” by the former partner of Danny Simpson.
By PA Media Lawyer 11 April 13:10
A 42-year-old woman has been arrested by detectives investigating alleged corrupt payments to public officials.
By PA Mediapoint 11 April 11:59
The mother of murdered Sarah Payne gave evidence in the hacking trial today and said the News of the World had been a "force for good".
By PA Media Lawyer 10 April 15:28
The former archbishop of Canterbury went into the witness box at the hacking trial today to defend his friend Stuart Kuttner.
By PA Mediapoint 10 April 11:57
The former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner has described former royal editor Clive Goodman's performance at the title as "in later years disappointing" - but told the phone-hacking trial he had no animosity towards him.
By Press Gazette 10 April 10:37
The Information Commissioner is launching a legal challenge over the Transport Secretary's refusal to release a report under the Freedom of Information Act on the proposed high-speed rail network, HS2.
By PA Media Lawyer 09 April 15:15
A judge has barred a 94-year-old dementia sufferer at the centre of litigation in the Court of Protection from speaking to journalists - pending an assessment of her mental "capacity".
By PA Mediapoint 09 April 12:18
Former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner has told a court that the concept of phone-hacking was "far removed" from his idea of newspaper reporting and he wanted his staff to use traditional means of generating stories.
By PA Media Lawyer 08 April 18:34
A husband and wife have been charged as part of Operation Elveden, accused of making fake Broadmoor Hospital records to con newspaper publishers.
By PA Mediapoint 08 April 11:58
The former managing editor of the News of the World told a court today that he thought demands for cash from convicted hacker Clive Goodman were "excessive".
By Dominic Ponsford 08 April 11:48
The High Court has ruled that Section 39 order preserving the anonymity of children involved in criminal proceedings do not apply once they have turned 18. The case follows an appeal lodged by two teenagers – referred to as JC and RT - who appeared in court in 2012, when they were aged 17, and pleaded guilty to possession of explosives. Prosecutors accepted that the pair, who had parts for pipe bombs and petrol bombs, did not intend to endanger life or damage property.

Pages