Web traffic for Mail Online surged ahead to just under 100 million unique users worldwide in January.
It is by far the most popular UK national newspaper website and may well now be the most popular English language newspaper website in the world. It had 99,218,476 unique browsers in January according to ABC, a 77 per cent rise year on year and up 18 per cent month on month.
The Evening Standard website saw the biggest month-on-month rise in daily browsers in January, up 32 per cent to 172,290.
In December, The Independent was the only site to record a month-on-month increase in traffic but in January it was the only site that saw a drop in the number of daily browsers month on month, down 20.5 per cent to 602,856.
Mail Online recorded the biggest year-on-year increase in daily traffic (up 81.5 per cent to 5,784,946) followed by The Guardian (up 56 per cent to 3,592,387). Mirror.co.uk, which was was redesigned earlier this month, had an impressive January, up 47 per cent year on year and 22 per cent month on month.
UK national newspaper website figures January 2012 (source ABC)
(Name of site; average daily unique browsers; percentage change year on year; month on mont
- MailOnline : 5,784,946 ; 81.48 ; 19.57
- Metro : 352,888 ; 48.12 ; 5.14
- Standard.co.uk : 172,290 ; NA ; 32.19
- guardian.co.uk : 3,592,387 ; 56.03 ; 22.31
- The Independent : 602,856 ; 7.52 ; -20.52
- Mirror Group Digital : 882,972 ; 46.51 ; 21.51
- The Sun : 1,471,788 ; NA ; 9.91
- Telegraph : 2,458,826 ; 43.26 ; 14.05
(Name of site; monthly unique browsers; percentage change year on year; month on month)
- MailOnline : 99,218,476 ; 77.12 ; 17.88
- Metro : 8,570,724 ; 46.54 ; 4.18
- Standard.co.uk : 4,131,893 ;NA ; 29.16
- guardian.co.uk : 63,171,662 ; 59.58 ; NA
- The Independent : 13,126,707 ; 8.75 ; -17.09
- Mirror Group Digital : 19,092,360 ; 48.04 ; 17.05
- The Sun : 24,055,155 ; NA ; 8.69
- Telegraph : 48,292,476 ; 47.77 ; 13.10