Former topless model Jordan and her pop singer husband, Peter Andre, today won a public apology over a Sunday paper’s allegations that they were bad parents.
The couple went to London’s High Court to hear lawyers for the News of the World apologise for the ‘hurt and damage’they had suffered as a result of the article which their solicitor, Mike Brookes, said portrayed them as “shocking and uncaring parents who put their own needs above those of their children”.
The article, which was carried in the News of the World in February was publicised with a front page trailer reading ‘Jordan Exposed : Nanny reveals sex, rows, binges â€¦. And what she’s really like as a mum.”
Brookes said that inside the paper pages four and five were headed: “Perfect Mum? What a joke!”
He continued: ‘In general terms, the article portrayed the claimants as shocking and uncaring parents who put their own needs above the of their children, and who are so reckless that they even endanger their children’s health and welfare.”
He said that one specific and particularly serious accusation made in the article related to an incident in which Harvey, Jordan’s disabled eight-year-old son from a previous relationship, had scalded himself on New Years Eve 2006.
Brookes said it had suggested that Andre was to blame and that the couple had been ashamed to be interviewed about it by Social Services. However, he said, the article omitted to mention that they were completely exonerated from any blame.
He said it had also alleged that the couple, who have two other children, Junior, 3, and Princess Tiaami, 11 months, had neglected Harvey’s health by deliberately feeding him a diet of junk food simply because this was more convenient for them to do.
‘Again this accusation was not true,’said Brookes.
He went on: ‘Allegations of this nature are of course highly defamatory and they were particularly offensive to the claimants because they are not true. Ms Price and Mr Andre pride themselves on a very loving and caring relationship with their children which has in fact been recognised publicly, with them both winning separate ‘celebrity parenting’ awards.”
He said that the News of the World now accepted that the allegations were untrue.
‘It accepts that Ms Price and Mr Andre are decent and responsible parents, who love and care deeply about their children,’he told Mr Justice David Eady.
He said they had also agreed to pay “substantial” but undisclosed damages, half of which would be put in trust for the couple’s children and the other half of which would be donated to the NSPCC and The Vision Charity.
For the News of the World, solicitor Joanna Workman said they apologised, accepted the allegations complained of were untrue and regretted that they were published.
Afterwards, Price said: ‘Pete and I love our kids and would do anything for them. Any-one who has kids can imagine how it would feel to be accused publicly of being bad parents.
‘We came here today to see that justice was done and that our names were cleared. Now that the paper has accepted that the story was not true, apologised to us and paid us damages and our costs we believe the record has been set straight and our names have been cleared.”
Andre added: ‘We would like to say thank you very much. It means a lot to us as a family.”