Reports to: Kate Gibbs, Head of Media and Communications
Based: Weybridge, Surrey
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm, (35 hours per week)
About the RHA
The Road Haulage Association is the only trade body with sole responsibility for UK road freight operators. With over 7,000 members – representing approximately 250k heavy goods vehicles – the RHA represents the industry responsible for the movement of 90% of the UK economy.
The success of the sector is reliant upon an effective communications network. Since its inception, the Association has published its own, very successful monthly magazine, Roadway.
The RHA is already expanding across other mainstream social platforms, including Twitter and Facebook but is now in the process of launching a daily news service Roadway OnLine.
Designed to keep members and the membership and the wider industry up to date with the latest news on issues surrounding this dynamic and IT-led industry, Roadway OnLine will become the information hub for the UK haulage industry and its stakeholders.
Based alongside the Association’s policy, marketing and communications team in Weybridge, the successful candidate will:
- Play a key editorial role in Roadway OnLine, leading and updating content relating to the road freight sector and its importance to the wider economy.
- Collaborate closely with the editor of Roadway Magazine and the RHA’s own policy, commercial and marketing teams on content planning, formulating new ideas.
Reporting to the Head of Media and Communications, your tasks will include:
- High quality writing and editing appropriate multi-channel content, flexing style and approach for different audiences in multiple platforms.
- Helping the commercial team meet business development targets, and constantly looking for fresh commercial and creative opportunities
- Significant, demonstrable, experience as a digital journalist.
- A track record of imaginative and natural use of social media including on different platforms such as Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
- You will have a track record of producing widely shared content and a great instinct for potential viral content.
- Some experience of managing digital communities and the ability to communicate diplomatically with a membership audience.
- Excellent news judgment
- You’ll have exciting ideas on how to build Roadway’s digital presence.
- You will have a proficient knowledge of digital and social tools including Premier Pro or FCPX, Social Flow, Hootsuite and CPS or equivalent.
- You will have a proven track record writing polished, engaging content for print and web and have a good understanding of the different technical and creative requirements of different channels.
- You will have experience of handling budgets and schedules.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines and rapidly shift editorial priorities.
- Be able to ask difficult questions to those in positions of authority.
- Follow current events in the trade, always looking for stories
- Be able to develop a source
- Pitch story ideas to Head of department and colleagues.
- Attend news conferences as appropriate
- Stay up to date with bribery, contempt and libel laws
- Familiarity with online production skills e.g. HTML as well as video production and audio editing as well as Photoshop or similar photographic production tools.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong copy subbing and proofreading skills
- Eye for detail and creativity with visual journalism.
- Excellent written English skills
- Must be able to work well alone or in a team
- Ability to multitask – at speed and without loss of accuracy
Send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively to FAO: HR Department, Road Haulage Association Ltd, Roadway House, Bretton Way, Bretton, Peterborough, PE3 8DD.
5pm, February 26, 2018
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com