Irish radio plea

The Broadcasting Commission of Ireland has been urged to review the regulation requiring all radio stations to devote 20 per cent of their output to news and current affairs, writes Des Cryan in Dublin.

Dermot Hanrahan, former chief executive of Dublin station FM104, claimed the costs imposed on commercial stations were “crippling”.

Hanrahan is preparing a radio licence application for a new alternative rock station in Dublin. He was speaking after a seminar in the capital on restructuring businesses.

Complaining that the regulation applied irrespective of a station’s music policy or target market, he said it was unique in Europe and was a “paternalistic” concept. He added that the cost of providing 20 per cent news was greater than the cost of the remaining 80 per cent for music.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

8 − 2 =

CLOSE
CLOSE