The loss-making Irish Daily Star Sunday is set to close with the loss of 17 jobs – according to reports today in the Irish media.
The seven-year-old title was launched as a joint venture by Richard Desmond’s UK-based Express Newspapers and Ireland’s Independent News & Media in 2003.
According to the Irish Times, the paper has never turned a profit and lost over one million euros last year.
Paul Cooke, managing director of the JV company, Independent Star, said the paper was projected to lose even more money this year.
The Irish Times said Cooke blamed the current economic problems in Ireland and price-cutting by UK based Sunday titles for the closure of the title.