Hacking: Miskiw bailed, Fredorcio on extended leave

Former News of the World news editor Greg Miskiw, 61, was released on bail until October yesterday as it emerged that Scotland Yard communications chief Dick Fedorcio has gone on ‘extended leave”.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “At approximately midday on Wednesday August 10, a 61-year-old man was arrested by appointment at a London police station by officers from Operation Weeting.

“He was arrested on suspicion of unlawful interception of communications, contrary to Section1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977 and on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications, contrary to Section1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977.

“He has subsequently been released on bail to a date in October pending further inquiries.”

The latest arrest came a week after Stuart Kuttner, 71, the former managing editor of the News of the World, was arrested and questioned on suspicion of involvement in phone-hacking and inappropriate payments to police.

Miskiw was the 12th person to be arrested since Scotland Yard’s fresh investigation into phone-hacking was launched in January.

Fedorcio is being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) over his relationship with former News of the World deputy editor Neil Wallis, who was employed by the Met as a PR consultant.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “To allow Mr Fedorcio to prepare for the IPCC investigation it has been agreed that he can work from home on a period of extended leave until the matter is resolved.

“Mr Fedorcio also accepts that it would be inappropriate for him to continue to come into the office whilst there was an ongoing investigation and until other directorate of public affairs staff had been interviewed.”

The Commissioner’s chief of staff Caroline Murdoch will take over his duties in the interim.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

19 − 8 =

CLOSE
CLOSE