Glasgow editors facing cost-cutting ultimatum

Sources at Glasgow-based Newsquest (Herald & Times) Ltd claim
managing director Tim Blott is facing resistance from his three editors
over cost-cutting proposals.

Press Gazette understands that Blott
individually told The Herald editor Mark Douglas-Home, Sunday Herald
editor Richard Walker and Evening Times editor Charles McGhee that he
wanted an immediate 10 per cent cut in costs from each of their titles.

However, when they objected, they were told the alternative was journalistic job losses across all three titles, it is claimed.

The Herald had already scrapped its Health & Wellbeing supplement and imposed a recruitment freeze.

In
an email to staff, Douglas-Home said advertising forecasts were falling
below budget and all areas of the business were being asked to make
cost savings.

“In The Herald’s case, the savings target is
impossible to meet without reducing the space we have to fill… Other
sections, apart from Scotland’s Homes and The Magazine, will be taken
off enhanced newsprint.”

Blott said he “preferred not to comment” when contacted by Press Gazette.

The editors also declined to comment.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eleven + twenty =

CLOSE
CLOSE