By Dominic Ponsford
The Sun came a step closer to mending bridges on Merseyside this
week, nearly 16 years after its ill-judged coverage of the Hillsborough
stadium tragedy led to its sale collapsing in the area.
- February 10, 2017
- September 15, 2016
- July 13, 2016
In a Radio Merseyside phone-in, two parents of Hillsborough victims
said they were willing to accept the Sun’ s apology for its coverage.
Previously, the Hillsborough Family Support Group has voted not to
allow Sun managing editor Graham Dudman to speak to them and apologise
on behalf of the paper.
The Sun has said it is willing to work
with the Hillsborough victims to take up their ongoing campaign for
justice after the disaster in which 96 football supporters died. Jenni
Hicks and her ex-husband Trevor lost daughters Sarah, 15, and Vicki,
19, in the disaster.
She said: “If the Sun can do what Graham Dudman’s saying they will do and campaign for us, perhaps it’s time to move things on.”
said: “It is the first time any of the Hillsborough families have said
they accept our apology – it’s a major step forward to getting the Sun
accepted in Liverpool again. I’m going to be talking to Jenni and
Trevor Hicks and asking them what we can do for them.”
the Sun printed a full-page apology in all editions for “the most
terrible mistake in its history” in response to a backlash on
Merseyside against England footballer Wayne Rooney selling his story to
the Sun and News of the World.