Express Newspapers plans to lay off 70 more journalists

Richard Desmond’s Express Newspapers is understood to be planning a fresh round of lay-offs that could see up to 70 journalists axed.

Staff on four titles – the Daily Express, Sunday Express, Daily Star and Sunday Star – are affected by the publisher’s plan to seek a number of voluntary redundancies.

According to the NUJ, a consultation process has begun on the latest proposals and the company has invited all editorial workers to apply for voluntary redundancy.

A source told Press Gazette the lay-offs were part of a plan to make a saving of £3.5m a year.

Up to 26 non-editorial members of staff are also believed to be affected.

A total of 94 lay-offs are expected through redundancy of full and part-time staff and dropping of some casual contributors.

Express Newspapers is expected to make a formal announcement to staff later today.

Barry Fitzpatrick, head of publishing at the NUJ, said: “This latest proposal comes in a long line of proposals that have seriously impacted the ability of the editorial department to maintain quality, competitive titles.”

Last year it emerged that Express Newspapers was looking to axe more than 80 staff and casual journalists, mainly from the subediting departments of the Daily Express and Sunday Express, as part of a cost saving measure.

Express Newspapers declined to comment.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

thirteen − 7 =

CLOSE
CLOSE