Editor of new Scottish daily The National Richard Walker has said he is “confident” the new title will continue after this week's five-day pilot.
But he said it is not his decision and that Newsquest is likely to make a call on Thursday about the future of the title.
The pro-independence newspaper is scheduled to come out for five days this week.
The initial print-run was 60,000 on Monday, this increased to 100,000 yesterday and Press Gazette understands that around 80,000 copies were distributed today.
Some 12,000 digital subscriptions, priced at £1.50 for five days, have been sold so far.
Walker, who also edits the Sunday Herald, said: “The feedback has been great and the support has been absolutely incredible.
“I’ve heard of people buying five or six copies. You expect the launch edition to generate interest, but from what we can see that interest has continued.
“I’m confident that it will continue but it’s not my call.”
The launch of the 24-page title, priced 50p, follows sales success enjoyed by The Sunday Herald after it became the only Scottish newspaper to back a yes vote on the independence referendum held in September.
Asked why Newsquest opted to launch a new print newspaper, rather than a digital product, Walker said: “There’s a number of pro-independence websites, but there is no pro independence daily newspaper.
“There is something about newspapers. When the Sunday Herald announced in favour of independence people were really pleased we’d done that.
“There was something about a newspaper that made people really appreciate that support. It’s not quite the same with a website.
“People asked us for a paper like this every day and the national was a response to that. The public are saying that print is something special to them.”