David Beckham has accepted substantial undisclosed libel damages from the Daily Star over a claim that he “chatted up” model Mariann Fogarasy.
The 34-year-old England football star was not at London’s high court for the settlement today of his case against Express Newspapers over an article which appeared in the Star in April.
- October 28, 2016
- November 4, 2013
- September 17, 2013
His solicitor, Gerrard Tyrrell, told Mr Justice Eady that the serious and defamatory allegations were completely untrue.
The story was headed: “Becks and the blonde beauty” and: “Topless model claims she was chatted up by footie star” and was also published on the newspaper’s website.
It claimed that Beckham had “made a play” for Fogarasy after a recent AC Milan match in Hungary and that he had been emailing her with “private party” invitations since they “got close” after the match.
Tyrrell said the newspaper now accepted that Beckham did not behave in the manner described and unequivocally retracted the allegations.
Kate Wilson, counsel for Express Newspapers, which has agreed to pay Beckham substantial damages and his legal costs, apologised to him and his family for the distress, embarrassment and injury caused.