Journalists at the Daily Record and Sunday Mail are planning a 24-hour strike on Saturday in protest against Trinity Mirror plans to cut 70 editorial jobs.
The National Union of Journalists chapel voted 95 per cent in favour of industrial action and 85 per cent in favour of a strike in a ballot.
- August 21, 2017
- July 26, 2017
- July 6, 2017
Management at the Scottish titles have been informed of plans for a 24-hour walkout from midnight on 4 April, which the union says will disrupt production of next weekend’s Sunday Mail.
They are also planning a second day-long strike on the following Friday if discussions with Trinity Mirror come to nothing.
The publisher announced last month that cuts were being made as it brought in a “single integrated editorial production operation” to produce both papers, plus free weekly The Glaswegian and free business weekly Business7.
Under the changes, Daily Record editor Bruce Waddell has become editor-in-chief of the Daily Record and Sunday Mail, while Sunday Mail editor Allan Rennie has become editorial development director.
The NUJ said the job cuts were too severe and union representatives have come up with a compromise proposal which would see between 45 and 50 editorial posts cut, avoiding compulsory redundancies.
According to the union chapel, 200 journalists voted in the ballot of 237 members – an 85 per cent turnout.
As well as the 24-hour walkouts, journalists have announced a work-to-rule with effect from next Saturday.
A Daily Record and Sunday Mail spokesman said: “Considering the current economic climate we are obviously disappointed with this reckless and negligent decision.
“While we will continue to work with the union to help resolve their issues throughout the consultation period this latest action will not benefit their members in any way whatsoever.
“We must modernise the business to survive in the new media economy and we will not be deterred from that goal.”