C4 hands over Diana documentary sources

Channel 4 has agreed to hand over interview material from a Diana documentary to the High Court, waiving the confidentiality of two sources.

The channel was ordered to disclose further material relating to its documentary, Diana: The Witnesses In The Tunnel by Mr Justice Eady on Monday.

Eady ordered that the material should be disclosed to Lord Justice Scott Baker, the Diana inquest coroner.

A Channel 4 spokesman said the decision to comply with the court order and hand over the material was made on Monday night.

‘After the order had been made, we had further discussions with the sources involved who, understanding the gravity of the situation, agreed to waive their confidentiality,’he said.

‘As a journalistic principle, Channel 4 seeks to protect journalistic sources.”

The new order relates to material containing accounts by witnesses of ‘relevant events’given to the programme-makers.

Mr Justice Eady refused Channel 4 permission to appeal against the part of his order concerning confidential sources. Channel 4 could have applied directly to the Court of Appeal in a bid to challenge his ruling, had the sources not decided to waive their anonymity.

At a previous hearing, Eady ordered Channel 4 to disclose certain untransmitted footage of interviews recorded for the hour-long programme, which was broadcast in June.

The judge did not announce the reasons for his latest decision, but said he would give a full judgment as soon as possible.

In September, broadcast regulator Ofcom turned down 62 complaints about the documentary, which showed Princess Diana’s last moments – including photographs taken in the Paris road tunnel where she died 10 years ago.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 × three =

CLOSE
CLOSE