Although the Central Asian country achieved independence from Russia in 1991 its established journalists in the field “retain a Soviet mindset unchallenged by the fresh perspectives of younger journalists” the report says.
- Investigative journalist Liz MacKean, who helped expose Jimmy Savile's sex offending, dies aged 52
- Disabled student told he won't pass Scottish journalism course because he can't write shorthand
- BBC says it 'regrets' Newsnight debate about Welsh language as 8,000 sign petition calling for review
- London local news report: Less 'on-the-ground reporting' amid falling circulations while cutbacks risk 'democratic deficit'
- BBC World Service offers news in Pidgin as part of £289m expansion to include 12 new languages