BBC reportedly set to target online news and sport in cuts announcement

The BBC is reportedly set to announce cuts to online news today as part of its £150m savings scheme.

According to The Guardian, it will announce a "significant chunk" of cuts this morning, amounting to £35m.

The corporation is also expected to announce it will shut down its Red Button service and reduce sports coverage.

BBC News reported the corporation is set to cut £35m from sports rights, having already dropped coverage of The Open golf tournament.

Hit show Strictly Come Dancing and the BBC drama operation are understood to be protected from about £12m of cuts to the TV budget.

The broadcaster said the savings were a result of what it referred to as the "iPlayer loophole", where people watch programmes on catch-up online without needing to pay the licence fee.

The Red Button service was used to give viewers access to extra channels for events including Glastonbury and Wimbledon.

Funding is one of the main issues up for debate as part of the BBC's royal charter which is due to expire next year and is currently under Government review.

Culture Secretary John Whittingdale said on Tuesday he was not on a mission to diminish the BBC.

The corporation also recently lost the rights to The Voice after refusing to get into a bidding war to keep it.

In a settlement reached ahead of the Budget earlier this year, the BBC agreed to help finance spending cuts by shouldering the cost of free television licences for people aged over 75.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 × five =

CLOSE
CLOSE