Action dropped against Janet Street-Porter over racism claim

No further action will be taken against broadcaster and newspaper columnist Janet Street-Porter over claims she racially abused a neighbour.

The former I’m A Celebrity star and newspaper editor was told by the Metropolitan Police today that its inquiries have ended.

Street-Porter, 59, was arrested and questioned on January 16 in connection with an alleged racially-aggravated public order offence.

A spokesman for firm Harbottle & Lewis, which represents Street-Porter, said: “We can confirm that Janet Street-Porter has been informed by the Metropolitan Police that no action is to be taken against her in respect of allegations reported in January.”

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman confirmed no further action will be taken.

Last month the broadcaster “completely denied” claims that she racially abused a neighbour.

She said she was known for her strong anti-racist stance and expected to be fully vindicated.

Street-Porter was head of youth and entertainment features at the BBC in the 1980s before becoming editor of the Independent on Sunday.

In a statement issued in January, she said: “Anyone who is aware of my track record in journalism and the media knows my strong anti-racist views.”

In 2003, Street-Porter, who lives in Clerkenwell, central London, was criticised by Plaid Cymru after attacking Welsh people as “unfriendly”.

She said they made her feel like an “alien” during her childhood holidays in north Wales.

Comments
No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

6 + 10 =

CLOSE
CLOSE