Mail Online surged ahead to a new high for a UK national newspaper website in March – reaching 65,997,230 unique web browsers, according to ABC.
This was a 68.5 per cent increase year on year, and a 29.6 per cent rise month-on-month after the short month of February.
Guardian.co.uk had a great month as well, up 47.4 per cent year on year to 49,176,766 unique browsers for the month. This was a new record for the paper in a strong month for news in which the Japan Tsunami and unrest in the Middle East dominated the headlines.
In daily readership terms, Mail Online reached 3,661,666 unique browsers per day, according to ABC, and Guardian.co.uk reached 2,722,390.
Today’s ABC national newspaper website usage report follows research released by web data company Comscore which suggested that Mail Online is now the second largest English-speaking newspaper website in the world after the New York Times. Under Comscore’s methodology, Mail Online was reckoned to reach 39.6m unique website users in March.
The Telegraph was in third place among UK national newspaper website in March, according to ABC, with 40,139,803 browsers over the month and 1,995,655 per day.
Just looking at readership in the UK: according to ABC Mail Online reached 1,439,075 UK reader-based readers per day, and 21,635,982 over the course of the month.
No other titles publish a UK daily total. The Guardian reached 18,297,426 unique browsers a month in the UK in March, according to ABC, and the Telegraph reached 13,800,429.
Full breakdown of UK national newspaper website ‘unique browsers’ for March 2011, according to ABC:
- MailOnline. Daily total: 3,661,666; monthly total: 65,997,230; up 68.5 per cent year on year
- Guardian.co.uk. Daily total: 2,722,490; monthly total: 49,176,766; up 47.4 per cent year on year
- Telegraph. Daily total: 1,995,655; monthly total 40,139,803; up 32.7 per cent year on year
- The Independent. Daily total: 605,328; monthly total: 13,358,598; up 33.7 per cent year on year
- Mirror Group Digital. Daily total: 537,355; monthly total: 11,418,514; up 13.5 per cent year on year
- Metro. Daily total: 255,394; monthly total: 6,478,889;
- Standard.co.uk: Daily total: 154,751; Monthly total: 3,525,697; up 13 per cent year on year