A further 45 jobs are to go at the BBC’s news division – bringing the total number of expected job losses in the news team over the next five years to 465.
BBC in-house magazine Ariel reports that 18 of the 45 jobs will be lost in the TV Centre newsroom. The announcement by director of news Helen Boaden comes after job cuts at the BBC World Service and BBC Online.
- October 13, 2017
- September 13, 2017
- August 21, 2017
Speaking to the BBC’s in-house magazine Ariel, Boaden said: ‘News has a very good record on redeploying people and we remain committed to avoiding compulsory redundancies wherever possible.
‘We will consider volunteers for redundancy and will do our utmost to make it possible for people to seek redeployment within News and the wider BBC, but we all have to be realistic about the difficulties of redeployment in these challenging financial times.”
As reported last week, the NUJ is to ballot BBC journalists this week over taking industrial action against the job losses.
The NUJ claim at least 100 jobs are being lost across the World Service, Monitoring, Online and in BBC Scotland and Wales.
While volunteers for the latest redundancies will be sought, Boaden said that ‘the BBC retains the right, as a last resort, to make people compulsorily redundant”.